Search This Blog

Monday, April 9, 2012

Constructing a Vessel

Description of Project
    The objective of this project is to construct a vessel, or box-like structure of sorts, to house an item of your choice. The item can hold significant meaning to you or it can be something you use on an everyday basis or anything else. Some examples include special pieces of jewelry, collectables, a meaningful item like your lucky rabbit’s foot, or things like pencils and pens that one uses daily. No matter what the item, the box has to reflect and hold the random thing you have selected. To ensure structural integrity, the walls (as well as the lid and base) of the vessel must be at least a quarter of an inch thick. The box will be made using only wood glue as the adhesive. This project will also be using the band saw as the primary tool for construction.

Statement of Purpose
    The item I chose to create a vessel for was my boyfriend’s high school class ring. He gave it to me to wear as a token of our relationship. I strung the large ring onto a silver necklace chain and that is how I wear it. The purpose of my box was thus to hold and protect the class ring necklace. It will help me to not loose it as well. I wanted to make a small box (like a ring box) to house the piece of jewelry snuggly. Then, also a larger box to hold the little ring box so I don’t loose it. The cylindrical shape of the ring box mimics the circular structure of the ring and the exterior, larger box shape mirrors the form of the necklace.

No comments:

Post a Comment